Sunday, January 25, 2009

How it all began

I can't help it, I collect things. Not single items, but collections of things. Sometimes they're silly things, like my collection of sardine cans. Empty, of course, but it all began when I found one particular tin with a painted scene on the lid. I kept the tin after I'd eaten the sardines on a whim, and next week, found a different type of tinned sardine. You can guess the rest.

Like I said, I can't help it. A few years ago I came across an article on the BBC news site, suggesting that a blow on the head in a certain area was linked with types of obsessive behaviour. As it happened, I had suffered a blow to the head as a baby, then another couple later on as an adult, so if the first one hadn't made me what I am today, there were plenty of other candidates. I mentioned this to a friend of mine who also collects oddments and squirrels them away, and he told me that he too had suffered a blow to the head as a child. So there it is, I am not alone, and it's not my fault.

Now for the honest part. I am not one of these obsessive types who fills the house from cellar to attic with bundles of old newspapers and keeps 173 cats. I do, as it happens, have 3 cats, and lots of bundles of magazines, but unlike the true obsessive, I go through my collection every now and then and sell some of it. This blog is my advertising vehicle for the online shop I have in Ebid and is my way of advertising what I currently have for sale. Ebid, unlike ebay, isn't spidered by google and the major search engines, so if you type in "Large Musical Rabbit" to a search engine you wouldn't be lead to my door. Until now, that is.

And for the second honest part: I'm not looking to make a fortune from you, just a few pennies. I don't want to throw away my collections, I want them to go to somebody else who also knows the joy of acquiring things. Yes, there's money involved, but if you're a collector like me, you know what it costs to feed your habit. And if you're not yet a collector like me, well, it doesn't cost a lot to get started, and it's enjoyable, so long as you don't get put in a home and made to get rid of all your things as part of a cathartic "we can make you better" pseudo-scientific cure.

Let the fun begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment